I originally set up this site to check how newly introduced WordPress.com themes handle both existing images and Gallery display in single Posts, Pages and on archives/categories pages. While one can certainly look at a new theme’s demo site in the WordPress.com Theme Showcase, the demo sites don’t cover all that the Gallery feature has to offer.
Also, please remember that while these Gallery suggestions are valid for both WordPress.com and WordPress.org blogs, self-hosted blogs using the WordPress.org software have far more options than WordPress.com blogs because WordPress.com users do not have access to the underlying template and PHP files nor can they use plug-ins.
While no further posts are planned, as new themes are regularly being released on WordPress.com and changes to image handling are inevitable, this site will always be a work-in-progress.
There is a lot of information here and if you are not familiar with the concepts, perhaps it will not be clear the first time around. Take your time. Bookmark the site. Come back and read it again.
Some points to note:
- The Theme currently displayed is shown with only its default settings/options/template. Themes are regularly rotated on this site, but only WordPress.com’s free themes.
- Besides the “About” Page, there are four additional Pages on this blog: one Parent Page with a Child Page, one Grandchild Page and one Great Grandchild Page. Not all themes display Page hierarchy in the navigation bar (navbar).
- Depending on Theme, you may see additional tabs in the navbar.
- Not all themes display a navbar or a Pages widget by default.
- No Custom Menu is used here.
- The Widgets displayed here (if any) are the theme’s default set of widgets.
- There are three Categories in use on this blog: “Uncategorized”, “Gallery” and “Experimental”. No Tags are in use.
- Any Post in the “Experimental” category is exactly that. Use with caution.
- Unless otherwise noted, all posts use the standard Post Format.
- All images appearing in this test blog have been uploaded to and inserted from this blog’s Media Library. Image names reflect the image’s uploaded pixel dimensions. The majority of images uploaded to this test site are at least 600 pixels wide. Some images may not display correctly depending on theme.
- When an example of a Gallery shortcode appears in a post, extra spaces have been added around the opening and closing brackets to prevent the Gallery from displaying more than once.
How to use this test blog:
Start by reading the “Hello world!” post and work your way back up from there.
Afterwards, make sure to click on the Parent page to read about displaying new or existing Galleries on Pages and using an HTML table instead of a Gallery.
Commenting is turned off site-wide. If you are a WordPress.com user and still have questions about using the Gallery feature on your blog, please check out the Support forums. If you start a new topic, please tag it with “gallery”, as my RSS reader is set up to alert me to new Gallery threads. This way, we can all learn from the discussion.
If you need to contact me concerning something you’ve seen on this site, or wish to request to reuse information found on this site, please use the contact form on the About page.
An important word about advertising appearing on this site:
Since 2006, WordPress.com has run various types of advertisements on sites hosted with them. These advertisements may include videos and/or photos which are not a part of the posts on this site, although at times they may seem to be. I apologize in advance for any confusion that may arise because of this.
Copyright © 2011-All rights reserved, Gallery – A Demo Blog