This post was last updated on 28 December 2013
This is the Gallery feature straight out of the box, uploaded and inserted using the instructions in this Support doc and using all the default settings.
Shortcode example: [ gallery ids=”XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX ]
Link to: Attachment Page (default when the Photo Carousel is turned off) / Image File
Columns: 3 (default) / between 1 – 9.
Type: Default (Thumbnail grid), Tiled Mosaic, Square Tiles, Circles, Slideshow
Sort order: Drag and Drop to reorder, Reverse sort order, or Random
Some points to consider:
- The Gallery displays only image files (files with extensions ending in .jpg, .jpeg, .gif or .png).
- The default display for images inserted with a Gallery is the Image Carousel unless you turn it off under your Dashboard’s “Media Settings“.
- If you turn off the default Carousel display, you can then choose to link your Gallery images to either the image Attachment page, the original image file or “none”.
- Link to None currently works only with the default Thumbnail Grid style of Gallery.
- If you insert a link in the “Link to: Custom URL” field which appears on an individual image in the Image Uploader or Media Library, the Gallery function will ignore that link. It is possible, however, to include an active link in the Caption of an image or in the image Description of any image, including those that appear in a Gallery. (You can see an example of this in “Gallery as an Index Page“.) The link must be hand-coded in HTML.
- The number of Columns to display depends on the width of your theme’s content posting area. Regardless of how many columns you choose, columns will display only when using the Default Thumbnail grid type and only thumbnail-size images will be displayed.
- When using the Tiled Mosaic, Square Tiles or Circles Gallery Types, the number of columns is ignored. The Gallery images will fill the entire width of your theme’s content posting area. (Read more about Gallery Types in “Shapes and Mosaics: New Ways of Displaying Your Gallery Thumbnails“)
- In addition to the above-mentioned Sort orders, there are further sort orders available by modifying the Gallery shortcode using the “orderby” parameter in the Text tab of your Post or Page Editor.
- When using the Slideshow Gallery Type, a slideshow will be inserted in your Post or Page rather than individual images and will fill the entire width of your theme’s content posting area.
- Commenting: If you have enabled comments on your site, a comment box will also appear in the Carousel or on image Attachment pages. You can turn off commenting site wide, which will also turn off commenting on images. To allow discussion on Posts and Pages, you can then enable comments for each individual Post/Page via the Discussion module of the Post or Page Editor.
- Alternately, you can disallow commenting on a per image basis by editing the discussion settings for each image in the Media Library.
- The Duotone theme displays images and Galleries differently than other WordPress.com themes.
- Themes which offer “Post Formats” style the “Gallery” category and/or Post Format on the home/front page to show only a thumbnail image with a note on the number of images in the Gallery and a short excerpt of the Post. If the theme you choose has such excerpted display for Gallery posts, you cannot choose which image will be displayed as the thumbnail on the front page, archives or categories pages.
- This is the only post on this site using the “Gallery” post format in addition to being in the “Gallery” category.
Copyright © 2011-All rights reserved, Gallery – A Demo Blog
•UPDATE November 9, 2011: New lightbox style “Photo Carousel” comes to the Gallery feature